Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Crib Bedding Part 1: Bed Skirt


Once we decided on the nursery theme I started looking for bedding. I couldn't find anything even close to what I had in mind. Most nursery decor is very animated jungle animals, cars, sports, and pastel colors. Not at all what I had envisioned so I decided to sew my own. None of our fabric stores had anything I liked so I ordered all my fabric from fabric.com. Here is what we're using to decorate the nursery:
  

And of course solid navy, gray, and white!

  I went back and forth on how I was going to do the bed skirt and ended up opting for 4 seperate pieces instead of one solid piece (like a normal bed skirt). Right now we have the mattress set at the highest setting so it will be easy to lift Baby O in and out while he's still tiny and unable to move around much on his own.

I could have easily made a one piece bed skirt that would have been long enough to touch the floor, but as we lower the mattress, this would have involved altering the bed skirt for each new level.

Instead I decided to go with 4 seperate panels that could easily be adjusted for each stage. I started by measuring the length and height of each side.

I cut my navy material (a bed sheet that matched our accent fabric) so I would have 2  side panels and a front and back panel. I made the front and back panels a little bit wider than the crib so there would be a little overlap to tuck under the side panels and we wouldn't have gaps at each corner. I also added a 6" panel of striped fabric to the bottom to give it a little more detail.  

Once I finished each panel they were ready to be attached to the spring base. Since the mattress will do a good job of holding them in place I just used sticky velcro to tack it down along the frame. This way I will be able to remove and reuse the velcro as we lower the mattress and move the bed skirt up.


I started with the widest front and back panels so I could tuck the extra fabric around the corner. Ignore the missing floor boards (another DIY project to replace those is in the works!)



Then I added the two side panels to finish it off.


Replace the mattress and you have a custom (adjustable) bed skirt!

Check out Part 2: Crib Sheet and Binky Bag and Part 3: Crib Bumper!

6 comments:

  1. Great start. I know it will be adorable with your fabric choices.
    Tami @ Curb Alert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics- I'm totally into the chevron print right now! Its going to look so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the chevron fabric upholstery or quilters fabric? I want to reupholster our chairs and the black/cream chevron would match the stool with out being identical! <3

    ReplyDelete